Active Galaxy Jets
University of Bristol
Herschel Society Free Public Lecture,
University of Bath 17th November 2011
- She Assumes Black Holes are at centre of all galaxies
- The small scale pattern of one light year or less affects larger pattern of length scales of over 100,000 light years through some feedback process.
- Black Holes emit radiation through matter falling into them
- Jets are visible to us as products of synchrotron radiation
- We can view the jets using X-rays
- X-ray jets only last for about 30 years
- radio jets are much larger
- X-ray Jets can be over 3000 light years in length
- I think there must be some other explanation or mechanism to explain 10 million degrees centigrade temperature of hydrogen gas in the jets.
- Jets inefficient radiators
- (Inefficient at entropy?)
- Jets involved in feedback loops between black-hole growth and new star formation.
- Does cold dark matter play a part in this process? Can Cold Dark Matter be explained by interactions between relativistic particles and those travelling in “super-lubricated” frictionless tubes faster than the speed of light?